The Yukon Medical Association is responsible for most student/resident positions in Yukon and can be reached through their website at www.yukondoctors.ca. Medical Students/Residents are encouraged to contact the Yukon Medical Association to secure an elective position prior to proceeding with this application process.
Yukon Hospital Privileges - You must apply for hospital privileges before providing patient care in Yukon hospitals. The application process for Residents and Medical Students is available at yukonhospitals.ca/privileges.
Medical Students wishing to apply for an elective in Yukon must submit a Medical Student Application to the Yukon Medical Council. The following is a list of documents to accompany the application:
- Document that legally allows student to work in Canada (Birth Certificate or Student Visa)
- Letter from University Dean stating authorization to proceed with elective and ensures that the University Insurance is in place during elective.
Students must have the original licence issued from Yukon Medical Council prior to start date at the clinic or Whitehorse General Hospital.
Please allow two weeks for the application process.
Medical Residents (Post-Grads)
Medical Residents wishing to apply for an elective in Yukon must submit a Post Grad Application to the Yukon Medical Council.
The following is a list of documents to accompany the application:
- An original signed letter from your Program Director detailing the dates and duration of each completed rotation, confirming that you are a post-graduate trainee in good standing, you have insurance and are approved for the proposed rotation in Yukon.
- Proof of CMPA insurance showing Yukon coverage or code 12 or 14.
- A copy of the document which legally entitles you to reside in Canada (i.e. Birth certificate, passport, student visa).
- A recent passport type photo.
- A Prescription Privilege Form signed regarding the prescribing of medications. Prescription privileges will not be granted unless this is completed.
- If required: PG Triplicate Prescription Program Application.
Note: Resident must have the original license issued from Yukon Medical Council prior to their start date in Yukon.
Yukon Medical Council - www.yukonmedicalcouncil.ca