Medical Profession Licensing Requirements in Yukon
All physicians wishing to practice medicine in Yukon must have the following:
- licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada, and
- hold either a certificate of fellowship from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (or a specialty certification issued by the Collège des médecins du Québec on or after October 16, 2007) or
- the College of Family Physicians of Canada (or a family medicine certificate issued by the Collège des médecins du Québec on or after October 16, 2007)
- hold a current full licence in another Province or Territory of Canada that is a party to the Agreement on Internal Trade.
- Candidates who wish to apply for a full and unrestricted licence to practice medicine in Yukon for the first time should visit physiciansapply.ca.
Yukon is not currently accepting applications for a limited family or specialist license. This means that International Medical Graduates must meet the requirements listed above.
Yukon Hospital Privileges - You must apply for hospital privileges before providing patient care in Yukon hospitals. More information is available at yukonhospitals.ca/privileges.
Medical Profession Licensing Process
Please note: The average time to process an application is 4 weeks, please allow sufficient time to process your application.
- Candidates who wish to apply for full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in Yukon for the first time must apply at www.physiciansapply.ca.
- Once application is received an application package will be sent to obtain the additional documents that are required to complete registration and licensing.
- Yukon Medical Council will review the application and if approved, the Registrar of Medical Practitioners will sign and release the license.
- Licenses expire March 31st every year. Renewal applications are due March 1st and can be found on the forms page.
Medical Professional Corporations
Application forms for new corporations and renewals can be found on the forms page.
Yukon Medical Council - www.yukonmedicalcouncil.ca